NOISE4NOISE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NOISE4NOISE

japan

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split

Go down 
AuthorMessage
apewrist

Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split Empty
PostSubject: Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split   Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 am

Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split 351yi47

As an exercise in shutter speed electronic debauchery, Restrict | Suppress | Censor brings together the stapled, cut-up styling’s of agit8, sleep sessions & areyfu. similarly, the trio’s sound palettes teem with a finesse crafted from sporadic glitch disruptions, rumbling, full-bodied bass distortion & a level of maturity harboured from countless hours of dedicated sound, hardware and object exploration. while the fragmented soundscapes serve as a common ground point, the sections still highlight distinctive qualities unique to each artists discipline & showcase a progression of shifting, splintering aural jaunts

Restrict | Suppress | Censor CD-R is out now through Now…This!
AUD$5+pp within Australia.
AUD$6+pp Worldwide.
AUD$15 +pp Worldwide with Ebola Disco / Screwtape split 7"

Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split 1537cex

For more information on availability, soundbytes, or other releases visit:
http://www.nowthis.com.au
http://www.nowthisaudio.wordpress.com
http://soundcloud.com/now-this
Back to top Go down
apewrist

PostSubject: Re: Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split   Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 am

Samples from my tracks are available here: http://sleepsessions.bandcamp.com/album/restrict-suppress-censor
Back to top Go down
apewrist

PostSubject: Re: Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split   Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 am

Hi, just wanted to post some updates.

The split has been very well received, thanks to all the people who have ordered a copy. I means a lot to the label and all of the artists involved. We (as in me and Areyfu, not sure about Agit8 yet) have decided to make it available for free, you can download AREYFU's tracks here:

http://areyfu.bandcamp.com/album/restrict-suppress-censor

And SLEEP SESSIONS tracks are available here:

http://sleepsessions.bandcamp.com/album/restrict-suppress-censor

Now here are some reviews:

Quote :
I’ll come right out and say it – even though I’m not a big fan of cut-up noise, Restrict/Suppress/Censor is probably one of the best albums of that form that I’ve heard in a while. Sleep Sessions, Areyfu, and Agit8 are all in a similar realm of sampling and inducing rhythmic seizures with very harsh blasts of noise, and they all blend together effective tracks for a three-way split of some of the best cut-up noise.

Sleep Sessions is up first, and he’s working with five shorter cuts on this disc. His tracks are simply excellent, often harsh but then again rhythmically enhanced, often with sharp bursts of loops that repeat so fast they make the head spin. Sleep Sessions always deals in silence, and there are often moments where “Adroit” will cut out for short moments separating ideas.

Next up is Areyfu, who does something a little bit different with his harsh noise. In between the blasts of static, the feedback snarls, the crunchy moments of distortion, is a flowing bit of ambiance, a droning peace that characterizes the cut-up sound. It’s a little bit different from moments of simple silence, and it works well on tracks like “Closure”, where the drones create unexpected moments of pure dread. Seriously, do NOT turn up “Closure” because you think you can’t hear it – you’ll shit your pants once a heavy squeal of feedback kicks in. But the aesthetic of what Areyfu does is an interesting mix, and the moments of peace coupled with flat-out destruction create differing moods throughout the pieces.

Agit8 seems more focused on rhythmic looping than obvious cut-ups. His series of tracks “Kokoda Trails Parts 1-3″ are deeply rooted in the same type of sound, often reusing a characteristic sound clip over its twenty-minute span. As a whole, Agit8′s tracks are less harsh, but the sounds run the gamut from digital stutters to reverb-laden works to even some scrap metal sounds. The length of the tracks, however, might not work as well as Sleep Sessions’ quick bursts do, however.

Retrict/Suppress/Censor is an incredible showing of cut-up noise, a very harsh blend from some of the best artists in the genre right now. Even if it doesn’t always appeal to you, the sheer intensity of this release should keep you interested. It’s a must-have.

Memory Wave Transmission

Quote :
This three way split from Sleep Sessions, Areyfu & agate is 11 tracks that makes about 50 minutes of totally fucked noise. Right off the bat I am trying to figure out if this is a split or a collaboration. I think it’s a collaboration. The cd does seem to be divided into three parts but I think those parts are more narrative (Restrict, Suppress and Censor). It’s a little hard to tell but what I can tell is that this is a really well done piece of experimental anti music. The noise is intense and dense but there is a lot of silence to add just the right amount of context and contrast. These artists, David A Kowalski, Michael J Ellingford and M.D. Bailey respectively, really seem to know what they are doing around a pedal board. This is recommended.
The looks of this is pretty cool. The artwork and design are nice and messy. A creepy heart painting with a fence/frame thing behind it. The typography is wrong in a way I totally enjoy. Crazy kerning and a strange grid make for some interesting design. The actually sleeve itself is a little strange. it’s obviously punched out of a bigger sheet and has these little burrs on the edges that seem a little weird but put it in a plastic bag and all will be well.
Would I buy this? Yeah. It’s good.

Dead Formats

Quote :
‘Restrict|Suppress|Censor’ is a three-way Noise split between Poland’s Sleep Sessions (David Kowalski) and Australians Arefyu (Michael Ellingford) and agit8 (MD Bailey).  Comparisons are ready across the disc to Japanese wall noise, but more accurately, those Americans under the influence (Bastard Noise, Menche, Wiese himself), as well as Australians of the Extreme scene more close to home.  Complementing the frenetic, mechanistic, cut-up style of the like-minded artists involved, the disc’s glossy, commercial production is a nonlinear blast of language and texture which sufficiently obscures authorship; the precious space allotted to each artist is used to thank one another, and the label repeatedly – an act of glad-handing which taken positively is a collective abdication of ownership in the true spirit of collaboration.  For this reason, attributions will not be made, and the granular barrage of this disc must speak for itself.  The first chunk of tracks follow a most aggressive pasting technique, splicing broadcast materials – pop music, speeches – between pitch-bent frequencies and hard loops in gabber anti-rhythm.  Given the brief length of these 1-3 minute tracks, the aggregate effect is easier to spot, and makes these little sketches (“Mute But Armed”, “Adroit”, “Cunning Duplicity”) something more expository.  Moving on to what appears to be the first of the “Kokoda Trails” trilogy (again, this sleeve is a fucking runestone), longer piano/string/drone samples offset the erratic contours of the blister-and-scratch laid overtop; where the former tracks suggest intense composition, these echo the movement and two-handedness of live performance.  By the final third of the disc, all sweetness and light – once the human element, then the symphonic sounds – has dropped out, and a confluence of the edit-heavy first block blends into the sustained attacks and recursion of the middle segments.  Pooling with blood into the final, 10 minute piece, the whole affair seems to (literally, sonically) materialize as it slows, revealing the manual sweeps, blows, and scrapes that the artist filters and affects in accelerated time.  In many ways a lot of classic Noise in a relatively new bottle, the disc has multiple options to offer the initiated despite its own prohibitions.

Animal Psi

If you're into fast, complex, cut-up harsh noise, you might be interested in following our acts.

http://sleepsessions.org/
http://michaeljellingford.wordpress.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split   Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleep Sessions / Areyfu / agit8 - Split
Page 1 of 1